Freelancing in the UAE: Getting started
Essential tips to help you get started with your freelancing career in the UAE.
Freelancing is gaining popularity all across the world. The benefits of freelancing are numerous. The freedom to choose the time, the comfort, and the pay, all add up to a fulfilling work-life balance.
The UAE is increasingly gaining popularity as one of the best places to work as a freelancer. With state-of-the-art technology, reliable infrastructure, a high-quality lifestyle, and much more, the UAE is a haven for freelancers looking to startup and scale their careers in the country.
However, before you get started, here is a brief guide to help you with the right information to start freelancing in the UAE.
What do you need to start freelancing in UAE?
Freelancers in Dubai are permitted to take up gigs as long as they have the required permit and a residence visa. The freelancer permit will recognize you as an independent contractor or a sole practitioner by which you can contract under your own name and work as an individual. The permit has to be renewed every year.
Who can apply for a freelance permit in UAE?
In a nutshell, residents and non-residents can apply for a freelance license in the UAE. Moreover, if you are applying as a non-resident of the UAE, you can apply from your home country with a few simple steps.
How to get a freelance permit?
With Freedom2Work, the process of applying for a freelancing license gets quite easier. You can apply for a freelance license from anywhere in the world, as a resident or even as a non-resident of the UAE.
The process is simple:
Step 1: Submit your application through our online portal on freedom2work.com or get in touch with our in-house experts
Step 2: Pay the fee after your application is confirmed by email. For this, you will have to visit our office or via the online mediums to submit your remaining documents and make the payment
Step 3: After approval, you will then receive your permit. You can then apply for your residence visa as well as your Emirates ID and then begin freelancing legally in the UAE.
What do you need to apply for a permit?
Following is a general list of documents you will need to apply for a freelance license.
- An updated resume or CV
- A copy of your passport and visa
- An NOC from your UAE sponsor, if applicable
- Reference letter from the bank, if applicable
- Passport size photographs
- Credentials and certificates attested
- Portfolio, if applicable
So now you have a fair idea of what is required to startup and scale your business. Here are a few helpful websites that can help you get started:
- Upwork connects professionals and freelancers with businesses for hire and pay gigs. All you need to do is to make a profile on the website so that interested clients can contact you.
- Bawabba is an online community where freelancers can find jobs in over 160 different kinds of services in the UAE. Yes, this is a UAE-centric freelance platform.
- FreelancerUAE is another such UAE-centric platform where one can find freelance projects with ease.
- Fiverr is a global freelance marketplace that is trusted by thousands of businesses and professionals across the world.
- TrueLancer is a simple website where projects are posted and freelancers can get quotes for the gigs.
Living in Dubai
Dubai offers upgraded living for its residents. No matter where you live in the Emirate, you will be able to access amenities that can help you enjoy the high-quality lifestyle that the Emirate offers. The Emirate also provides its residents with the highest level of security and safety that can help them live a secure life.
The UAE is the hub of all economic boom and has a plethora of opportunities for freelancers. You can now easily kickstart and scale your freelance career in the UAE with Freedom2Work; all you would need to do is get in touch with us at email@example.com or contact us at 800-FREEDOM (373 3366).
For more details, you can check out our website freedom2work.com.