Green Visa for Freelancers: Requirements, Benefits & Criteria

Are you a freelance professional planning to explore opportunities in the UAE? Then a Green Visa is for you! It offers talented individuals, freelancers, and entrepreneurs the freedom to work independently without a sponsor! Check out the article to find out more.

UAE is an international business hub that attracts entrepreneurs from all over the world. With its cosmopolitan cities, futuristic infrastructure, and corporate business ecosystem, the UAE is the second-largest economy in the Middle East, with a GDP of USD 501 billion in 2022.

The Global Entrepreneurship Index 2022 ranked the UAE as the number one global destination for establishing and starting businesses and the most encouraging environment for entrepreneurship. Not only does it offer great business possibilities, but the comprehensive education system, diverse entertainment, and vibrant community make Dubai a home for expats.

With the growing significance of flexible work models, the UAE introduced new residence permits, attracting global talents and fostering competitiveness and stability. A green visa is a 5-year residency permit for skilled and talented employees to work and live in the country without any sponsor or employer! You can sponsor yourself and even your family without associating with any sponsors or companies! 


Who can apply for a Green Visa in the UAE?

The Green Visa is specially established for highly skilled and talented individuals, entrepreneurs, investors, outstanding students, and graduates from esteemed universities can apply for a Green Visa to live, work, and explore the higher possibilities of the UAE. Anyone with a green visa can set up a company or freelance in the UAE. 

There are three categories for UAE Green Visa:

1) Skilled Employees

2) Freelancers/Self-employed

3) Investors

Green Visa for Skilled Employees

Skilled employee with a valid employment contract can apply for a green visa without a sponsor or employer.


Employee must be classified in the first, second, or third occupational level according to the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE) with a minimum salary not be less than AED15,000 (USD 4,083.74). Check the three occupational levels by MoHRE here.

Applicant must have a minimum education qualification level of a bachelor’s degree or equivalent.

Green Visa for Self-employed or Freelancers

You can work as a freelancer in the UAE with a green visa for freelancers! All you need is a freelance permit or license! Are you planning to start freelancing in Dubai? Our experts can assist you in processing the license and visa!


Freelance permit from the MOHRE.

Minimum educational qualification of a bachelor’s degree or specialized diploma.

Annual income of not less than AED360,000 for the previous two years as a freelancer or must prove financial solvency throughout the stay in the Emirates. 

Green Visa for Investors or Partners

Investors who engage in any commercial activity can apply for a 5-year residency. 


Approval of relevant local authorities and proof of investment of AED1 million 

Total investment capital will be calculated in case the investor has more than one license.

Why should you go for a Green Visa?

5-year renewable residency visa

Residence permits for family members, including spouses and children (with an age limit of 25 years, and no age limit for unmarried daughters)

Sponsor your first-degree relatives.

Get a residence permit for children of determination.

The residency duration of dependents shall be the same as that of the green visa holder. 

Establish a business, work, or freelance in the UAE.

Flexible grace period of 6 months after the visa expiry or cancellation.

How can Freedom2Work help?

Freelancing in the UAE is easier with a Green visa! Enjoy the endless opportunities. So, what are you waiting for?

Freedom2Work provides reliable consultation to assist you to get a green visa in Dubai. Get in touch with us at 800-FREEDOM (373 3366) or to find out more!

Open chat
Hello, how can I help you?