How Can You Start Freelancing in UAE? Know About the Freelance Permit and Licence in UAE
Freedom. Flexibility. Financial Independence. Sounds attractive, right? Especially if you’re shackled to a 9-to-5 job. Let’s take a close look at how to freelance in UAE! What permit you require for freelancing?
It is the year of revolutionary technological outbreaks to rethink and reform our profession. I think you may already know why.
You might already have at least one friend who has quit and started freelancing full-time.
Actually, everyone is breaking away from the cultural constant of a 9 to 5 job and starting their own freelance business. Freelancers have paved the way for a new era of work where you work for yourself with no one to boss you around.
Today, we have freelancers for every sector. If we take the example of a website, from the website development to the graphics and content, there are freelancers who piece everything together, gig by gig.
The rise of the gig economy is everywhere, and many governments, including the UAE, have recognized the importance of freelancers. If you plan to run a freelance business in the UAE, you will require some permits and licenses. But don't worry. We have got you covered.
Here is everything you need to know to start your freelancing business in the UAE in six easy steps.
Step I: Choose a Field of Work
The first step is to know the various fields of work in which the UAE government is granting permits. Here are the eligible sectors you can try your hand in:
- Education Sector: Individuals who are part of the education sector (online lecturers, researchers, coaches, and advisers)
- Art (painting, craft, sculpting, etc.)
- Media (journalists, advertising and marketing, social media influencers, filmmakers, photographers, etc.)
- Tech (website, analytics, software development, etc.)
Get our expert advice on choosing the freelance activity most suitable for you!
Step II: Business Setup
The second important thing is to know what kind of business to set up. You can start a freelance business in the UAE based on your talent and qualifications.
To start, freelancers need to be the sole person in charge of their business and offerings. Therefore, you will set up a business as a sole proprietorship.
Step III: Get a Freelance Visa and Permit
The most important documents that you need to freelance in the UAE are:
I. A Freelancer's Permit/License
II. A Freelancer Vias (Only if you are not already a citizen of the UAE)
Step IV: Know Where to Apply
Free zones offer freelancers permits for freelancing in the UAE.
Some of the most popular free zones are:
1. Ras Al Khaimah Economic Zone (RAKEZ)
2. Sharjah Free Zone
3. Ajman Free Zone
4. Abu Dhabi (twofour54): Popular among media and entertainment freelancers
5. Fujairah Creative City
6. Dubai Knowledge Park
7. Dubai Internet City is the center of technology and innovation
8. Dubai Design District
9. Dubai Media City, which houses the largest media-cum-information brands in the UAE
10. Dubai Development Authority
Step V: Documents You Will Require
Here is a list of documents you will need to start a freelance business in the UAE through these free zones.
1. Up-to-date CV or Portfolio
2. Copy of Passport
3. Qualification certificate
4. For residents, a copy of the Emirates ID and a visa copy
Step VI: Cost of Obtaining the Permits
Sixth, you would want to know the charges for getting your freelancer license in the UAE. The cost of your freelance permit would depend on your industry, location in the UAE, and duration.
See how Freedom2Work can help you achieve your freelancing dreams.
At Freedom2Work, we are committed to making your freelancing experience in the UAE the smoothest.
Once you have all the required documents, it will take you only 15 minutes to fill out the application. That is less than the time it will take to get express delivery to your home!
And we will do the rest.
Here are some more advantages of choosing Freedom2Work for your freelance application.
- Get your license from the Department of Economic Development in Dubai.
- We also provide express licensing within 24 hours.
- You can check your eligibility for free.
- We have professional consultants available to resolve your queries at toll-free numbers, 800-FREEDOM or email@example.com.
It has never been easier to start a freelancing business in the UAE than today. The rules are relaxed, and the government is promoting the gig economy.
Turn your creative and innovative musings into a reality because the world of freelancers is on the path to greater heights.
Frequently asked questions:
1. Can full-time workers become freelancers in the UAE?
Yes. Anyone can become a freelancer in the UAE. If you are already working, you will require a No-Objection Certificate from your employer to obtain a freelancer permit.
2. Is freelancing legal in the UAE?
Yes, freelancing is legal in the UAE. The government of the UAE has identified a wide range of activities in which freelancing is legal. We can broadly classify these into- 1. Education 2. Technology 3. Media 4. Art.
3. Which is the cheapest freelance visa in the UAE?
The cheapest freelance visa and permit cost depend on many factors. To find out more about it, contact our professional team!
4. How can I start a freelance business?
To start a freelance business, you must first define your goals and find a profitable niche. Then identify your target clients and set strategic prices for your services. You can then build a high-quality portfolio website and start taking up gigs.
5. How can I earn money online in the UAE?
There are various ways to do so; these include online tuition, blogging, photography, freelancing, mobile applications, fitness, and many more.
You only need a permit for it!
6. Is freelance self-employment?
Yes, freelancing is a form of self-employment where freelancers engage in contractual work on a project basis with other organizations and companies.