“Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.”
The quote by the ancient philosopher Aristotle perfectly captures the essence of working as a freelancer.
We are in the third decade of the twenty-first century, and civilization has finally realized how important it is to have a work-life balance and be the boss of your own time. There is no better place to start your freelancing business than Dubai.
But freelancing in the UAE has only recently become legal, and you must possess a freelance license or permit to perform freelance activities legally.
It seems a bit confusing, doesn’t it? Fret not! I have answered the most frequently asked questions about freelancing in Dubai. Read along to see how you can become a freelancer in Dubai.
1. Is freelancing legal in Dubai, UAE?
Yes. The UAE government allows locals and expats to work as freelancers with a permit. Expatriates can get a freelance visa and permit without a sponsor.
2. Who is eligible for a Freelance Visa in the UAE?
Freelancers who are working in any of the following industries are eligible for a freelance visa:
1. Media- Includes job as an actor, choreographer, event planner, director, content writer and developer, producer, translator, PR Specialist, etc.
2. Education- Includes jobs in teaching, advising, research, training, and coaching.
3. Technology- Some prominent activities include computer programming, web development, customer service, data science, software development, telecommunications, etc.
4. Design- Includes jobs such as fashion designers, Make-Up Artists, Wedding Planners, Personal shoppers, Costume Designers, Interior decorators, and more.
There are several economic activities recently added to the list.
3. What are the documents required for a freelance visa and permit?
To start freelancing in Dubai, you need the following documents:
2. Recent photographs
3. Valid passport and visa copy
4. If you are a resident, NOC from your UAE sponsor
5. A Business Plan
6. Portfolio of Work for Media Activities
7. Academic Qualifications and Certificates for Education Activities
4. Can one freelance in Dubai if they are on a residency visa?
Yes. A residence visa holder in Dubai must obtain a freelance permit after getting a certificate of no objection from the current employer or sponsor.
5. Is it necessary to live in the UAE to apply for a Freelance Visa in Dubai?
No. If you are a resident of another country and get a freelance visa for the UAE, you will have to enter the country within 30 days of the visa issuance.
6. If I currently have a full-time job in Dubai, can I apply for a freelancing permit?
Yes. If you can get a NOC from your employer or sponsor, you can apply for a freelancing permit in Dubai or anywhere in the UAE.
7. What is the validity of a freelance permit in Dubai?
Freelancing permits or licenses in Dubai or anywhere else in the UAE are renewable on an annual basis.
8. How much time does it take to get the freelance permit?
On average, it takes about 10 to 15 days for the issuance of the freelance permit.
9. How can I get a freelance license in Dubai?
At Freedom2Work, we provide a 2-year freelance license and a hassle-free experience where you can apply for freelancing in Dubai in 15 minutes. Contact us today at our toll-free number 800-FREEDOM (373 3366) or at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
10. What is the validity of a Freelancing Visa in Dubai?
A freelancing visa in Dubai or anywhere else in the UAE is valid for two years with automatic renewal.
These were the most frequently asked questions about freelancing in Dubai. Still, have queries? Why don't you connect with our freelance advisors?
Start your freelancing career in Dubai, enjoy a hassle-free experience, and get your free eligibility check today!
Do Freelancers Have to Pay Taxes in the UAE?
Top 10 Essential Resources for Freelancers
How to Get Clients: 10 Ways to Find (and Win) Your Dream Customers